“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”– Franklin Delano Roosevelt
While Roosevelt was not talking about a pandemic outbreak, we think this quote is relatable. While it’s important to take extra safety precautions, it’s also important to have the proper context for what is happening with the new and fast-spreading coronavirus and the disease it causes, COVID-19.
The WHO continues to be the best resource for up to date information on best practices and information on new developments of COVID-19.
Here at Vuka, we have always prioritized cleanliness and safety in our spaces. Amid the recent developments with SXSW closing, we have some updates on what we’re doing to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in Austin. Additionally, we are encouraging you to take extra precautions personally and sharing some best practices for individuals to take in order to slow down the spread without hopefully disrupting everyday life too much.
The health and safety of your team, our community members and their loved ones is important to us, and we’ll continue to stay in communication with our members and clients regarding safeguards and precautions related to this issue.
Health and Safety Precautions we’re taking in both of spaces:
- We are advising coworking members not to wash dishes or silverware by hand, please use the dishwasher at all times.
- We recommend coworking members bring their own silverware or cups if they are uncomfortable sharing dishes at this time.
- We will be adding more prominent signage with reminders of basic protective measures
- Our cleaning partners have announced they will be using cleaning solutions that are registered with the EPA to combat the coronavirus. Specifically, they will be using Clorox multi-surface cleaner+bleach in combination with the Clorox disinfecting wipes on all surfaces. While we understand that bleach is a harsh chemical to use, we will be using this for now to reduce the spread of the virus in our facility.
- We are advising all members and event attendees to stay home if they have a fever, respiratory symptoms, or believe they are sick.
In response to the coronavirus threat, many brands are implementing strict health rules to minimize the risk at events, other companies are moving their events to digital forums, while others are out-right canceling or postponing their events. For a common sense guide to the coronavirus for your upcoming event, Bizzabo has a great communication and operations toolkit for your team.
For questions about Vuka’s response: